The Quiet One

Wednesday, October 18, 2006



I've been buying laundry detergent for 10 years without any major complications. That is until now. Enter Cole - a two year-old with a fierce determination to destroy everything he wears. So my question for you is: in your experience, do the more expensive detergents (that would be Tide for me) really work better than their cheaper counterparts? Any opinions would be helpful in hopefully salvaging at least a few garments for baby Jake.

Sidenote: Have we succesfully managed to completely alienate the male gender from blogger? I've noticed as of late a complete lack of Dad and Patrick's blog has been conveniently usurped by Yasmin (not to mention Travis' scoff at the mere idea of joining). You can blame me - what with all my talk of skinny pants, baby bows, and laundry detergent, there wasn't much hope for their survival here.

11 Comments:

  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger Patti said…

    I had the same observation re: gender. I even mentioned it to Dad. What's up boys?

    As far as laundry detergent, I've never noticed that one is better than another.

    By the way, when I first saw Cole's picture I was certain he'd been eating laundry detergent. Whew . . .

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger Stacy said…

    I thought the same thing about Cole eating the detergent. And I also noticed that the boys were out. Their loss.

    As far as the detergent, I'd say don't use the cheapest--but that doesn't mean you have to use the most expensive either. I use SURF and when it's a load with some tough stains, I ADD Clorox Bleach for colors. Also, Spray-N-Wash sucks. Use Zout for a pre-stain remover.

     
  • At 5:49 PM, Blogger kelly said…

    That's funny that you thought Cole was eating detergent. They're powdered donuts - purely coincidental.

    Thanks for the Zout tip - wait, so that's different from Shout?

     
  • At 6:32 PM, Blogger sacramentostakeclerk said…

    I second the Zout recommendation. It is the best. It was the stuff I was telling you to use for when you discover those sneaky grease stains that show up after you've dried your clothes. And, yes, you can seriously wash and dry a stain and Zout will still most likely get it out. I would participate in the cheesiest infomercial on Zout in a heartbeat.

    This is why the boys don't participate.

     
  • At 7:35 PM, Blogger Patti said…

    Maybe this IS the reason the boys don't participate, but I've learned a LOT today. :)

     
  • At 12:24 AM, Blogger Papa said…

    O.K. There's no doubt that the girls have superior verbal skills, at the same time the boys have this huge gigantic lazy bone. Two strikes right there!

    On the subject of laundry, I like the Costco brand (12000 loads), it has to be delivered, but does a damn good job and lasts for quite awhile. However now that Patti has joined in the production of sweaty gym clothes (ooh that should probably be health club) the two of us can push through a box in now time at all. In more frugal times, the Alberson's $10 blue plastic bucket works pretty well. If however you have hard water, then you need to switch brands in order to get white stuff back to white from the pale grey color that develops. My favorite is still Tide with bleach (available at you local Csotco as well, oh how I love that place). I'll do the bleach thing every now and then as well. I don't have a favorite stain soaker, but I keep an eye out for Zout.

    Oh man, powdered donuts, Cole's eating powdered donuts. I love powder donuts.....hmmmm....I love all donuts. But I love the blogs too. I love seeing all my beautiful grand children, I wouldn't mind seeing my children as well.

    O.K. I think the tyelnol pm is kicking in now..I'm going back to bed.

     
  • At 7:43 AM, Blogger Caitlin said…

    If you've never seen the clothes Russell comes home with after a fire call, you've never seen dirty clothes. Gross. All the t-shirts he brings with him are white when he leaves. Not so white when he comes home. Not even close. Tide with bleach is a miracle worker.

    I knew they were powdered donuts right away. Who doesn't have donuts on the brain all the time? Weirdos.

     
  • At 8:07 AM, Blogger Patti said…

    I'm completely mortified my husband knows so much about laundry.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger kelly said…

    Everyone's making me laugh! Thanks for all your tips!

     
  • At 12:22 AM, Blogger Bride said…

    i like how i was convinced why the boys didn't participate until i saw my father's lengthy reply. and then i felt like a fool for not remembering his remarkable knowledge of laundry. i mean who else is weird about the way they fold their pants? wait..cait? whatever probably all of us?!

    o man i miss you.

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger Zach said…

    So there is question of male participation, and what follows is thorough discussion on detergent and principles of laundering. I too was convinced that I had no hope of survival.

    Then I saw Dad's lenghty post on his detergent of choice. Of course, he did immediately redeem himself with a hilarious paragraph on powdered donuts.

    I'm doing well, and hoping everyone can read this post. My ankle is hurt - I have a stress fracture, but I am resting it for 2 weeks in order to be able to continue my Airborne PT.

    We start giving each other shots in the classroom on Monday and IVs the week after. Awesome stuff. My blog (when it goes up) will renew your fatih and love of the male species. No fears.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home